St Andrews Methodist Church

Tel: 0113 2557426

History of St. Andrew's

The History of St. Andrew's

This page is in the process of being developed.


The Church opened in 1901 as a Primitive Methodist Church. 


Primitive Methodism

The Primitive Methodists were a major offshoot of the principal stream of Methodism - the Wesleyan Methodists - in 19th Century Britain. 

In the early decades of the 19th century there was a growing body of opinion among the Wesleyans that their Connexion was moving in directions which were a distortion of, not to say a betrayal of, what John Wesley had brought to birth in the 18th century.

Eventually a Methodist preacher called Hugh Bourne became the catalyst for a breakaway, to form the Primitive Methodists. Probably 'primitive' was used to clarify their self-understanding that they were the true guardians of the original, or primitive, form of Methodism.

The sorts of issues which divided the Primitives and the Wesleyans were these:

  • The Primitives focused attention on the role of lay people.
    The Wesleyans developed a high doctrine of the Pastoral Office to justify leadership being in the hands of the ministers.
  • The Primitives stressed simplicity in their chapels and their worship.
    The Wesleyans were open to cultural enrichment from the Anglican tradition and more ornate buildings.
  • The Primitives concentrated their mission on the rural poor.
    The Wesleyans on the more affluent and influential urban classes.
  • The Primitives stressed the political implications of their Christian discipleship
    The Wesleyans were nervous of direct political engagement.

By the end of the 19th century these two streams of Methodism realised they had more in common than they might have supposed. So conversations began which led to their being the two principal partners in the union to form the present-day Methodist Church in 1932. 

From The Methodist Church Website:


The Church became Robin Lane Methodist Church in 1932 and following amalgamation, was renamed St. Andrew's Methodist Church in September 1970.


This Commemorative trowel was presented to Jonathan Coates on laying the foundation stone on behalf of the Sunday School, 7th April 1900.

A picture of this foundation stone, which is beside the side door facing Longfield Road, can be found on this web page.

Powered by Church Edit